Spartanburg, Union, and Cherokee Counties
Spartanburg Preservation Fund has been established by Preservation South Carolina as a revolving preservation fund to identify, purchase, stabilize, maintain, market and/or sell historic properties in Spartanburg County. The fund is designed to create incentives history minded citizens to participate in local preservation initiatives.
Spartanburg Preservation Fund:
The Montgomery / Carolina Theater
While this fund is solely for preservation of historic properties in Spartanburg County, like other Preserve SC initiatives, expenditures from the fund will be returned to the fund upon the sale or lease of the piece of property for which the expenditures were made. A condition of the Spartanburg Fund is that Preservation SC must retain a preservation easement on any property the fund preserves.
For 27 years, Preservation South Carolina has helped to deliver to local communities a statewide perspective with statewide solutions," said Michael Bedenbaugh, executive director of Preservation SC. "We are excited to now help develop local solutions that could educate a statewide audience. Spartanburg County has wonderful historic places that could certainly benefit from preservation. "The Fund will establish a real estate committee of local residents who have a deep understanding of Spartanburg County's history, historic preservation issues, local real estate matters and a dedication to preserving the county's historic structures. The first Chair of the advisory board is local historic architect, Donnie Love and it is staffed in the capable hands of its first Regional Director, Suzanne Brooks.
Procedures for the Spartanburg Preservation Fund:
- Priority is given to threatened properties in Spartanburg County that cannot be saved by the for-profit, private or public sectors.
- Saving historic properties is the fund's top priority, but other at-risk resources, such as historic landscapes, can be eligible.
- The local real estate committee will first determine a property's status, risks, and priority, then make recommendations to the Preserve SC Board of Directors.
Pictured above: (L) Large Plaster screen is the centerpiece of the Theaters Ceiling (R) The railing around the lobby mezzanine
Criteria considered for properties selection:
- The Property must be within one of the counties highlighted in the map to the right.
- Architectural and historical significance of the property.
- Current condition and estimated stabilization cost for the property.
- Possible threats to the property.
- Appropriateness of any proposed use and rehabilitation work.
- Geographic location.
- Amount of staff time needed to manage the project.
- Length of time fund monies will be tied up.
- Maximum investment per project.
- Likelihood of finding an appropriate buyer.
Donations to the fund can be mailed to:
Spartanburg Preservation Fund: The Montgomery Theater
PO Box 506
Prosperity, SC 29127
If you have any interest in:
- Helping us with information on an endangered historic house you have concerns about in the Pee Dee area
- Donation of an easement to protect your historic home
- Donation of historic property
You can also drop us a line:
Preservation South Carolina
PO Box 506
Prosperity, SC 29127
Preservation SC is a 501(c)(3) non-profit organization, Fed ID # 57-0913191.
Your Generous contributions to the Pee Dee Preservation Fund are tax deductible to the full extent of the law.