James F. Byrnes Building
Columbia, South Carolina
What is its history?
The James F. Byrnes Building was built in 1957 and was formerly The Federal Building, before being later deeded to the University of South Carolina. The building was renovated and brought up to state and city standards to be provided as a central location for USC’s programs. Named for James F. Byrnes (1879-1972) who served as a Congressman, U.S. Senator, Justice of the U.S. Court, U.S. Secretary of State, Representative to the United Nations, and Governor of South Carolina.
What are its challenges?
One of the finest modern buildings in the City of Columbia, the James F. Byrnes Building has been listed for demolition in the South Main Street Capitol District Master Plan.
What it represents:
Municiple planning that disrespects historic context on new development plans.