Preservation South Carolina is a non-profit organization operating in South Carolina since 1990, dedicated to preserving and protecting the historic and irreplaceable architectural heritage of South Carolina.
As South Carolina's only statewide preservation organization, Preservation South Carolina works hard for:
- the advocacy of historic preservation, with an active voice raised to state government leaders on behalf of preservation legislation, and in community efforts to save historic properties
- the education about our state's history and culture, by talking with individuals and groups in South Carolina communities that harbor historic properties in need of preserving
- the funding of historic preservation efforts, by providing assistance to communities, organizations and individuals dedicated to the preservation of our state's rich and diverse past
- the preservation of properties, with real input in acquiring, stabilizing and reselling historic buildings for proper rehabilitation and reuse
- the networking of passionate and talented preservationists in the Palmetto State, who can work together to professionally preserve our state one property, one district, one town at a time
Preservation South Carolina, a non-profit organization operating under 501 (c) 3 status since 1990, is based in Prosperity, just up the road from Columbia, and its dedicated staff and Board of Directors represent communities from all over South Carolina.
Our organization receives no operational funding from state or federal governments. Your support is necessary for Preserve SC to do the job you need us to do. Become a member!
After 23 years of being headquartered in various offices in Columbia, the Board made the decision to move the offices to a place that is one of the organization's restoration success stories. In 2010, the Depot was almost lost due to decades of a leaking roof and termites. The organization took the advocacy lead in saving the structure in 2011, negotiating an agreement between Norfolk Southern Railroad and the Town of Prosperity, Preservation SC had it restored utilizing a penny sales tax initiative. Besides housing the staff of Preservation SC, the town uses the depot as an event space. For more info on rentals, contact the staff at Prosperity's Town Hall.